PROJECT

Formerly known as Children's Express, Headliners is a UK-wide news agency producing news, features and comment by young people for everyone.

Through a unique learning through journalism programme, young people aged 8 to 19 research and write stories on issues that are important to them for publication in national and local newspapers, magazines, television and radio.

The aim of this blog, created by Maëlle Guéroult and Connor Scullion, is to let every young person from Northern Ireland express their ideas and opinions, whatever their background.

The views contained in this blog are those of the individual writer and are not necessarily endorsed by Headliners, the host school or any other partner organisation.

If you want to join us, e-mail us!

Tuesday, November 27

Takin the Nik


Nikii Clinton (16) - Headliners

Taking the Nik on Free Speech, Retro chocolate and Incorrect Science

Citizenship for GCSE, what is with that? Citizenship is supposed to be about moulding our opinions of society and helping us to figure out our opinions.
So I guess if we have to do it for GCSE we should be allowed to have our own opinion right?
Well for our Citizenship Coursework, we were told to choose a topic.
So I choose sectarianism in Northern Ireland, I wanted to try to answer the question: Is sectarianism in Northern Ireland about religion or politics?
Now, I thought this is a good question which I actually want to find an answer to, not just for my coursework.
However, my teacher called me to her class and told me “the board says you cannot do that question for your coursework...” she said it was because I wouldn’t be able to get a straight answer.
I’ve to resort to using the question: Has sectarianism in NI increased or decreased after the Good Friday Agreement?
That question is so boring and just adds the snorefest that is citizenship class, if I was able to do my own question I’d enjoy citizenship and maybe actually learn something. Pffft, school.

Mmmm... Wispas are back. Okay they may be a Cadburys rip of Aero bars, but you can’t not love them.
And where did Golden Grahams go? Seriously, they’ve been replaced by Cinnamon Grahams. That’s just not right. Golden Grahams were the shiz.

Smarties, you ever get the random fact/question the back of the packets, you know the ones I mean.
Well me and a friend were eating Smarties and he read out the question on the pack, “What is the smallest planet, beginning with P?” Pluto would have been the answer, but it isn’t a planet anymore.
So we rang the company to put them right and they’ve now agreed not use the question anymore.
So it seems Smarties don’t have the answer after all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Nikii! I think you chose a very straight and good question for your coursework.. too pity though that it didn't go through, but the new one isquite interesting aswell!..and well done with calling Smarties! =D Keep up the good work!xx

Respondona said...

School sucks. I reckon you should do the first question anyway. That question is the most basic one I have to answer to foreigners when telling them about Northern Ireland, and I'd say you can get a straight answer. As far as I'm concerned Niki, it's all politics.