PROJECT

Formerly known as Children's Express, Headliners is a UK-wide news agency producing news, features and comment by young people for everyone.

Through a unique learning through journalism programme, young people aged 8 to 19 research and write stories on issues that are important to them for publication in national and local newspapers, magazines, television and radio.

The aim of this blog, created by Maëlle Guéroult and Connor Scullion, is to let every young person from Northern Ireland express their ideas and opinions, whatever their background.

The views contained in this blog are those of the individual writer and are not necessarily endorsed by Headliners, the host school or any other partner organisation.

If you want to join us, e-mail us!

Saturday, February 23

Final Cut

Sonya Gorman (17)

Getting your hair cut is fun and it makes you feel tons better... Yeah. It does but its not really about that is it? It’s about looking like you’ve just had your hair done and this is why it becomes a chore. It not fun anymore you only do it because you have to. If you’ve got your hair done you’re going to look pretty stupid if you aren’t wearing a cool top, and that top is going to look stupid if you haven’t got a new pair of jeans and you can see were I’m going with this blog.
Most young people now have part time jobs. I do, I don’t really like it all that much, well to be honest I don’t really like it at all. If I was an adult I could say that I only do this job because have responsibilities. But I’m not an adult so why do I keep the job? Its simple, I have fallen into the trap of relying on my monthly pay from my part time job. My job isn’t particularly horrible or bad it’s just I would rather be out having fun. Which I wouldn’t be able to do if I didn’t have a job. So im trapped in one of those vicious circle things you hear about.
I suppose your thinking save up your money... but it’s not really that easy is it. Every time I try something else comes up. Like a new pair of jeans or a top or my shade of blonde is completely out this season.
I guess you are wondering what I’m on about but the point to my story simply is that I spend all my money on stuff like DVDs, Clothes and things I won’t really need. Still, to be quite honest I don’t really care all that much because that’s what young people are all about going around and not really taking anything to seriously. So I guess that the true reason why I have a part time job, because I can go in behave like an adult for a while and then go spend my money like a young person.

No comments: