PROJECT

Formerly known as Children's Express, Headliners is a UK-wide news agency producing news, features and comment by young people for everyone.

Through a unique learning through journalism programme, young people aged 8 to 19 research and write stories on issues that are important to them for publication in national and local newspapers, magazines, television and radio.

The aim of this blog, created by Maëlle Guéroult and Connor Scullion, is to let every young person from Northern Ireland express their ideas and opinions, whatever their background.

The views contained in this blog are those of the individual writer and are not necessarily endorsed by Headliners, the host school or any other partner organisation.

If you want to join us, e-mail us!

Saturday, April 26

Why a sleepover is such a Grand idea

By Alex Dickey
Hunterhouse College


Well, my Gran is so fussy and this is what makes her annoying. Like last night, she stayed at my house, and of course, it was my room she stayed in. Everybody voted against me! I wasn’t staying in the same room as her because the last time she stayed it was terrible!
Well, she talks non stop, all night and all day. I was bored out of my mind by the time night came, so I was in a bad mood already.
I mean, I don’t want to listen to some old woman rambling on about church, and recycling, the law and boring old waffle.
So anyway, I was a bit annoyed so I went to bed early. And as I slowly drifted off to sleep. You know that feeling when you’re halfway between sleep and being awake.
Then all of a sudden the light turned on and I heard, “Alex, are you asleep?” And she fully on screamed it into my room. And then she got into bed beside me. I turned around ready to go back to sleep.
And then she said “Alex dear, it’s too bright in this room do you mind if I close the curtain.” So I got up to close it and then apparently it was still too bright. (I actually couldn’t see two feet in front of me).
Then I had to get a blanket and blue tack it to the window. I know, I told you she was fussy.
The rest isn’t much better, she stole all the covers, so I was freezing and she kept getting up to either go to the toilet or get a ‘wee’ cup of tea.
And she took up the whole bed. How could one small woman take up so much space? It was awful!
The next day I woke up next day to find that I wasn’t in my room anymore, it was like a zoo, everything was everywhere, she’d threw my clothes all in the floor, and lying around where bit’s of paper with things like, ‘I need to post that letter to Maggie’ on them!
My room was a tip, and my camera was on the floor, my prized possession, just thrown away. I was so annoyed, and for once I couldn’t wait until I got to school.
But when I got downstairs, I went into the kitchen, I can’t find the words to write about what I saw, but it was good.
The kitchen was a mess but there was like a five course breakfast out for me.
Pancakes, and cereal, and French toast, tea and orange juice. I now know, my granny may be awful with her bad habit’s and really bad car.
Oh, don’t even get me started on the car; she drives it at likes two miles an hour. But she does all that stuff for my benefit and I don’t know what I would do without her!

No comments: